History of John Stewart United Methodist Church
The Methodist Episcopal Church in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, was organized in the autumn of 1845 and the trustees purchased the lot where the Community Library is presently located for $57. The following year, it was decided that this location was too far out. It was sold, and the present lot on the corner of Johnson and Seventh Streets was purchased for $250. In 1849 a 24 X 36 feet plank meeting house was constructed on this lot, but as the town grew, membership also grew, and the plank meeting house was soon too small. The picture on the left is a drawing done by Floyd Hissong that depicts what this plank meeting house probably looked like.
In 1856, the plank church was moved to the back of the lot, and work was started on a large, brick, two story building. This church was completed by 1859, and in 1864 a two story parsonage was erected next to the church. The parsonage was torn down and the church was removed to make room for a new church in April of 1899. A picture of this church an parsonage appears on the right.
The new church was designed by the same firm that designed the Wyandot County Court House. The cornerstone was positioned on October 8, 1899, and one year later, on Oct. 14, 1900, the new church was dedicated. In 1916 during a celebration to commemorate the centennial year of the founding of the first missionary work in America by John Stewart that the name of the church was changed from The first Methodist Episcopal Church to John Stewart Methodist Episcopal Church.
Present Day Church
Sunday School Addition : In 1943 a building fund was started to enlarge and improve the Sunday School classroom, but it wasn't until 1952 that construction was started. The new section was completed in 1954 and was consecrated on March 21,1954. A picture of the present day church is on the right.
© 2009-2023 John Stewart United Methodist Church